Saturday, January 3, 2009

Different Kinds of Hell

One night I wandered, dreaming
And stumbled into Dante's hell
suffering AMDG*
"God wills it" writ on every face

Next came I to Hades plain
Elysium's citizens call
"Are we remembered by you?
"What of immortal Achilles?"

And through the frozen north
I shivered my way to Hell's courts
Her grasp lets not one escape
No, not yet beloved Baldr

I could not find dark She'ol
Nor could its Shades direct me there
Rustling restless in the night
Never more knowing anything

But Atheists slept softly
Oblivious to their neighbors
Adventists, too, were silent
And are eternally extinct

*AMDG: ad majorem dei gloriam. Means "to/for the greater glory of god". Jesuit motto. For the record, I have tremendous respect for the society of Jesus. AMDG was convenient to use here and its use is not in any way meant to be disparaging toward the order.

1 comment:

Joelle said...

Wow! You're way intelligenter than I. How come you got all the good genes? :) Not sure I fully appreciate the irony and subtle message, but I like it.